Mountain Driving in Promaster Van

 I have a 2019 Promaster camper van that I bought a few months ago.

For folks with experience driving Promaster vans in the mountains, I am wondering if you use the ERS system (where you set the max gear and adjust with the + / -) for engine breaking on long steep grades or if you instead let the automatic transmission make those decisions (assuming it can)?

Until buying this promaster I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for years and the last automatics I drove decades ago weren't smart enough to engine break, so I thought I'd ask.

My specific use case would be the Colorado Rocky mountains, Eisenhower tunnel, etc. if that matters.

Thanks much for any advice any one may have!

I am wondering if you use the ERS system (where you set the max gear and adjust with the + / -) for engine breaking on long steep grades or if you instead let the automatic transmission make those decisions (assuming it can)?

The PM seems to do a decent job figuring it out. I am more likely to set a gear manually on uphills to keep the trans from "hunting".

Until buying this promaster I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for years

Same. My first auto after 40 years of driving.