Installing the Webasto Heater

Below is the perfect place to install the heater as it doesn't interfere with the structure and such underneath the van.  I made measurements to help others.



I'm super glad I had Josh Thebarge of VanlifeOutfitter.com consulting and for him to convince me to get the EVO instead of the STD as I'm digesting many issues with Russian and Chinese heaters and the STD heater at higher elevations and such (See carbon building problem at high elevation: Update Webasto Gas Heater at High Elevation | RV With Tito DIY)

Secondly I'm glad I brought the kit from VanlifeOutfitter - there are so many moving parts and they put it all together.   You can buy it here - Webasto Air Top EVO 40 – Gasoline Sprinter/Promaster Install Kit from VanlifeOutfitter

Thirdly, I'm glad I put it behind the driver seat instead of under the seat.  The reason is I need a platform for the swivel seats as the feets are dangling and it is uncomfortable.  Once I built the platform around the heater, I noticed how comfortable it was with my feet resting on the plaftorm.  I plan to build a floor with hinges so I can store things in there as well.

For those who want to know where exactly to drill the hole, check out the pictures at the end of this blog article.  I did the Webasto Surface Mounting Kit that was cut partially so it can install on top of van floor and bedrug installation underneath it.

You may be tempted to save money buying cheaper model or Russian/UK(Amazon) model or Chinese model but I've seen so many bad stories about it all.  Don't go that route!

The install instructions are all over the place so best to go through these videos in order:

1) Start off with the video that describes the parts that came Webasto Promaster Kit:

Webasto Air Top EVO 40 Gasoline Smartemp kit for USA 5013759A

2) Read VanlifeOutfitter tips and look at pictures

 Installing a Webasto Gasoline Heater in a Camper Van



Get these parts to seal it:

3) Watch Ankeney Van Build two video video that describes the install well

INSTALLING a WEBASTO heater in a RAM PROMASTER DIY Campervan and Step for Swivel Seat (this is his first build and showed the problems he did)

VAN BUILD | WEBASTO HEATER INSTALL| A SIMPLE BREAKDOWN (this is his second build and I pretty much followed his build.  


4) Watch Red Giant Van video - Webasto Install In Ram Promaster 3500 Extended (I didn't do it this way as heater is in the back of van but learned a lot)

Other Notes: Fuel Extractor not needed for Promaster (see link)